Gubrud-Howe, Paula EdD MS RN FAAN
Senior Associate Dean for Education Oregon Health & Science University, Consultant SimHealth Group
Paula Gubrud-Howe EdD, RN FAAN is currently the Senior Associate Dean for Education at Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing and serves as co-director for the Oregon Consortium for Nursing Education (OCNE). Dr. Gubrud has over 20 years of experience in nursing education and served as Nursing Program Director and Dean of Nursing Allied Health at Mt. Hood Community College where she established a simulation curriculum and led the capital project to build a new nursing building and simulation facility. She directed the OCNE Clinical Education Redesign project and facilitated the development of a new framework used to design innovative clinical education activities and curricula that included the integration of simulation across the curriculum. Dr. Gubrud participates in simulation based research focused on using simulation to develop clinical reasoning and judgment. She serves on several dissertation committees focused on the use of simulation based learning in nursing and other health professions. Dr. Gubrud frequently leads faculty development workshops aimed to prepare professionals in beginning and advanced simulation competencies. She also in a frequent invited speaker on developing strategic and collaborative educational alliances involving clinical education and simulation and participates in simulation related committees at Oregon Health & Science University.
- Niederhauser, V., Schoessler, M., Gubrud-Howe, P, Magnussen,L, & Codier. (2012). Creating innovative model of clinical nursing education. Journal of Nursing Education, 51(11) 603-608
- Noone, J., Sideras, S., Gubrud-Howe, P. & Mathews. (2012). Influence of a poverty simulation on nursing student attitudes toward poverty. Journal of Nursing Education, 51 (11), 617-622.
- Adamson, K., Gubrud, P., Sideras, S., & Lasater, K. (2012). Assessing the reliability, validity, and use of the Lasater Clinical Judgment Rubric: Three approaches. Journal of Nursing Education, 51(2), 66-73.
- McGuire-Sessions, M, & Gubrud, P (2010), Interdisciplinary simulation center in Nehring W. M. & Lashley F. R. (Eds) High-Fidelity Patient Simulation in Nursing Education (pp.303-321), Sudbury, Massachusetts, Jones and Barlett.
- Gubrud, P. M. & Schoessler, M. (2009) OCNE Clinical Education Model in Ard, N., & Valliga, T. M. (Eds) Clinical Nursing Education: Current Reflections, (pp. 39-58), New York, New York, National League for Nursing.
- Real Nursing Simulations (2008). Authors: Cato, Driggers, Gavilanes, Gubrud-Howe, Peeples, Seropian. Person Education, Inc, Upper Saddle river, New Jersey.
- Gubrud-Howe, P., & Schoessler, M. (2008). From random access opportunity to a clinical education curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 47, 3-4.
- Seropian M. A., Driggers, B., Taylor, J., Gubrud-Howe, P. & Brady, G. (2006). The Oregon simulation experience: A statewide simulation network and alliance. Simulation in Healthcare, 1 (1), 56-61.
Honors / Awards
- Governor appointee as founding member of the Oregon Simulation Alliance
- Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing